Saturday, January 11, 2014

What a whirlwind of a week it has been at the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information!

I moved into my new office and was quickly welcomed by a host of new colleagues and support staff. The School and University have done a tremendous job to make me feel at home. 


Of course, it has been non-stop meetings and orientation events all week. I'm now somewhat settled into my new office where I am conveniently located near other young faculty interested in Risk and Health Communication. Our research cluster has already begun planning some collaborative work!

 My office is sparsely decorated right now, and I'm looking forward to having our shipping container arrive and go through customs so that I put up my diplomas, and have my beloved books back in hand! Some art and maybe a tropical plant or two and my office will be my home away from home. 


 I'm also excited to begin teaching again this next week. New faculty like myself teach one course per semester at NTU.  I currently have 188 students enrolled in my Fundamentals of Research lecture. I am joined by 4 fabulous PhD Teaching Assistants who will teach the tutorial sections following my lectures. This will be my first large lecture class! 

 Lunch at the local "canteen" is definitely a highlight. 3.50 USD will buy a great bento box lunch, and for a dollar or two more you have fresh squeezed fruit juice-- I'm particularly fond of the kiwi and star fruit juice! I can foresee that most days I'll be walking back to my office after lunch with some fresh papaya and pineapple slices set for an afternoon snack. Having such excellent and fresh food available certainly trumps the canned soups and fried foods I was eating in NC.



I'll be sure to provide some more pics from my adventures around campus. For now it's time to sign-off and go swimming at the Olympic-sized pool across the street! 

No comments:

Post a Comment